Friday, February 15, 2013

Scars

From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story. A story that says, "I survived."
     - Craig Scott

A year later and I FINALLY get to call him mine!
What a wonderful Valentine's Day! I'm sure from the introduction of this post, it might make you think otherwise. I never thought I would actually have a valentine this year, let alone in Indonesia (unless you count my students but you know they just feel obligated).

But boy was I in for a surprise! I wasn't feeling the love after scolding a 5th grade student (and missing half of my lunch) until I came downstairs to the teacher workroom and saw a dozen roses, a box of chocolates and the sweetest card delivered from Ryan (who I may mention is currently living in the states). He is amazing and I am so blessed to have him in my life. For those of you who were there for me that horrible summer of 2008, you know what I went through as I watched my whole life just crumble in front of my very own eyes. I convinced myself that I would never be a sucker for love again.. until I met Ryan who ultimately became one of my best friends during my last two years in Knoxville. :)

Twelve roses to represent how twelve months ago Ryan had made a phone call to me while I was in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at the UNI Overseas Teaching Job Fair. I was in my hotel room, stressed beyond belief, trying to decide which country I would live in for the next two years in less than 24 hours. One ignored phone call and a year later, I find out that he actually had intentions of asking me out for Valentine's Day.. but I didn't even give him an opportunity to do so. And yet, here we are. Now that's some serious patience!

Love from my third and fifth grade students. My favorite one reads: "... sorry for being so rude when you are talking."

Miss all of ya'll back home! Hopefully your day was spent well with the ones you love!

xoxo amber

No comments:

Post a Comment